Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

So...What are our other options?


As Adam wrote about yesterday, it seems that the Cards are pretty set with KMac as the 5th starter and probably Lance Lynn on deck.  According to MLBTR, the Cards will entertain this idea for 2 weeks before looking out of house, but the Brain Trust is pretty confident we're set.  But for the sake of fun, whose still a free agent out there?  Whose on the "block"? Say Kmac drops a weight on his toe (Mr. Freese) and Lynn develops eating issues (Colby), where do the Cards turn?


Free Agency

Pretty slim pickings here, but the cupboard isn't completely bare.  Two players are plausible options: 

Kevin Millwood: He just seems like one of those guys who, with a change of scenery, and a trip to the National League, could definitely be a serviceable 5th.  An ERA of 5.11, a 4-16 record, and a whip of 1.51 aren't great numbers by any means.  But keep in mind 1) he's pitching in the AL East (ouch) 2) the orioles finished 30 games under .500 3) Dave Duncan isn't the pitching coach and Kwood definitely fits the stereotypical mold.

Jeremy Bonderman: Things I like here are he is still only 28.  In the past, he had a very strong K/BB ratio which I love.  But, his heads not there.  Taking a year off to rehab (for no apparent serious injury) and lacking real motivation are not good thing.  Perhaps LaRussa and Dunc could light a fire under the ass of this very far stretch of a pickup.

Ace in the Hole: Pedro Martinez: You never know come deadline time if in house isn't looking great.  Maybe Mo pulls a Phillies and gives the old man one last hurrah.

Trade Targets

For those of you who don't know, pictured above is Sean Danielson. Don't know him?  He was the player later named to be traded in 07 to the BoSox for Joel Piniero.  I'd say that worked out for old Walt Jocketty (tons of respect for him, I can't think of one trade I truly regret in his era).  So who may be out there?  This is according to the mothership ESPN (so take very name with a grain of salt):

Mark Buehrle: Yes he's from St. Charles.  Yes he loves the Cards.  Yes he gets rumored almost every year to be a possibility.  Of course I'd love to see him and in the last year of his contract, I'd say now is more likely than ever.  He loves it in the Lou, has a good ground ball rate (Dunc), and he's got a meter named after him on Baseball Tonight.  What would it take?  Good question, but I think he'd be less costly than most on this list should the ChiSox fall again.

The Rest of the ChiSox Rotation: Apparently, should Peavy step up or the Sox fall, Danks, Flloyd, and Jackson could all be on the block.  While I don't want Jackson in particular, the other two options would be strong and Danks is still under a good, young contract.  But when it comes down to it, Buehrle is the guy who wants to be here and who I'd want.

Francisco Liriano: He's been discussed going to the Yankees possibly, and I'm unsure the Cards can match any offer without throwing one Shelby Miller, and I'm still too high on him to propose that.

Young Guns Hitting FA Next Year: Cain, E Santana, Liriano, Weaver (Jared not Jeff)
All of these guys would be phenomenal pickups, but unrealistic.  Unless Pujols takes his talents elsewhere, no way Cards could extend any of these guys along with Waino and crew.

In-House

Kyle Mac: He's the guy we're going with.  If you don't like it, too bad because he seems a shoe-in for the role and I'm fine with that.  He's been very serviceable and I agree with Adam yesterday that while we lose a strong bullpen arm, he's probably the best fit.

Lance Lynn: I like this guy a lot, but think he regressed a little last year.  I'd like to see him float around the majors this year and give me one more year of proof.

Shelby Miller and Carlos Martinez:  Obviously neither are close to the majors yet, but God I can't wait for them.  Just imagine a rotation in 3-4 years as follows:

Waino
Garcia
Miller
Martinez 
Heck, me in the 5th spot

Thanks for reading. Go Cards.

3 comments:

  1. I agree Millwood could be a possibility, but there is no way Bonderman or Pedro are coming. LaRussa hates players that aren't into it 100% just look at how him and Colby got along last year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea I agree, but outside those three the FA market is all lonnng shots, exm. Jarrod Washburn and Ben Sheets. Neither is gonna fill your season up. Should Kmac and Lynn crumble (or another injury), I think it goes Millwood, then trade ideas, in that order.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm only interested in Millwood if we sustain another injury. I really hope were capable of getting at least Millwood-esque performance from Kmac and or Lynn.

    ReplyDelete