Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

3 Things From My First Game of 2011


Being a senior at Indiana University, most of my Cardinal's games come during the summer.  But yesterday I was lucky enough to come upon a free ticket in a deluxe suite at Busch, so I decided to make the trip to the Lou for the night for my first game of the new year.  I was excited for the environment, the people, and hopefully for a Card's win.  While I'm in no way ready to make any decisions or opinions about the young season, I have a couple thoughts that weren't too pleasing from yesterday's experience.
1) It was a Monday.  It was cold.  It was the Pirates.  I don't necessarily expect a sold out crowd, but the fans tonight at Busch were not in it (or really there at all).  The attendance quiz yesterday was at 30,007, the lowest I think I've ever been at in my time as a Card's fan.  Even worse, down 4-1 in the 7th, roughly half of the crowd simply got up and left.  Maybe expectations aren't very high for this team, maybe the weather was just that unbearable, but the crowd was about as exciting as the team last night, and that is an issue.

2) It's good to see I'm not the only one with an unexplained vandetta against Ryan Theriot.  I don't know what it is, but myself, and about half the fans around me, already have it out for the guy.  I think my main issue, and one Adam touched on yesterday, is that I would much rather see Tyler Greene getting an everyday shot at SS.  He's got all the tools and a high ceiling, while Theriot is moving more towards his floor these days.  Let the kid play.  Give him a shot.  I'm doubtful he'd be worse than The Riot.

3) We need Matt Holliday.  Plain and simple.  I think Colby's going to have a breakout year and I really am excited for the Big Puma.  But without Holliday, this lineup will struggle.  Not a brainbuster here, but its only that much more obvious how badly we need him now.

Thanks for reading.  Go Cards!


No comments:

Post a Comment